Coconut oil popcorn is a healthier way to enjoy a tasty and delicious snack. Popcorn will always be one of the most favorite snacks of people all over the world. Whether they are watching a movie or simply want to munch on something, popcorn will always be among the top choices. But I also know for a fact that eating popcorn all the time is not good for the body. It contains saturated fats that can increase cholesterol levels. This is why I highly recommend coconut oil instead when popping the kernels to give it a healthier twist.
Ingredients For Homemade Coconut Oil Popcorn
Making my own popcorn with coconut oil is a fun activity for me. I enjoy cooking and eating at the same time and best of all, it’s a healthier version of my favorite snack. Here are the basic ingredients for this recipe:
- Half a cup of organic and non-GMO popcorn seeds
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, preferably extra virgin
- And some salt
Additional Ingredients You Can Add
You can add a few more toppings if you want such as nuts or add some seasoning depending on the flavor you want to achieve. Here are some seasonings that I highly recommended you add to create variations in flavors:
- Cinnamon and sugar for a sweet and spicy popcorn flavor
- Chili powder and some cumin for an exotic and extra spicy flavor
- Curry powder and pepper
- Onion salt and parmesan cheese for that salty and flavorful taste
- caramel or chocolate for that perfect balance of sweet and salty
You can actually add just about any seasoning or flavoring that you want. You can go as exotic as you want or as simple as you want. Nevertheless, cooking them in coconut oil will bring out a flavorful aroma without the added cholesterol.
Procedure For Stove Popping
This coconut oil popcorn recipe is very easy to make because you don’t need to use complicated machines such as an air popper. All you need is a stove and a pot and you can start popping your kernels already.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the pot and toss in all popcorn kernels.
- Cook the kernels on medium-high until all kernels have already popped.
- Once all kernels stop popping, shake the pot about 5 seconds to make sure all kernels are already popped.
- Uncover the pot but watch out for random kernels that may still be popping.
- Pour in the remaining two tablespoons of coconut oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Toss the kernels until all are coated.
Popcorn is definitely one of my favorite snacks. I like to eat it while I’m watching TV, watching a movie, or simply snacking in the afternoon. But I do know that popcorn is quite unhealthy. However, with this popcorn coconut oil recipe, we can all enjoy this snack without worrying much about how unhealthy it is. Coconut oil is a good source of unsaturated fat which is good for the body. Hence, if you are craving for some popcorn, use this coconut oil for popcorn recipe to make sure you get good fats only.